No one looks forward to getting a ticket, particularly in New York, where the cost of a speeding ticket or moving violation is skyrocketing. If you’ve been ticketed anywhere in New York, consulting a New York traffic lawyer can save you a great deal of time and money. These experts at fighting tickets can put together a plan to help you get the charges either reduced or dismissed so that you can get on with your life.
Why Should You Fight A Traffic Ticket?
Many people make the mistake of simply paying a traffic fine, particularly if it is for a misdemeanor offense such as illegal parking. They erroneously think that a misdemeanor charge is “no big deal,” but the reality is far different. Points can accumulate on your driver’s license for years, resulting in a suspended or revoked driver’s license that can blindside you. Why should you consult a NY traffic ticket lawyer? Many reasons:
1. A skilled New York traffic lawyer has the knowledge to negotiate with the courts to reduce the number of points that are put on your driver’s license. While it takes 11 points to lose your license, many drivers don’t realize that, depending upon your speed, you can end up with up to 8 or more points on your license with just one speeding ticket.
2. You may be able to have the charges against you reduced with the help of a NY traffic ticket lawyer. Any charges that you plead guilty to, including moving violations and parking violations, can stay on your record for up to three years. If you only have one ticket each year, you’ll quickly end up with a driving record that can result in a restricted license or suspended license.
3. Fighting a moving violation or parking ticket in New York can help keep you on the road. If you go to court and end up with a suspended license, you’re in a bind. You may be expected to pay off a substantial fine, but without your driver’s license, you may not be able to get to work so you can raise the money to pay the fine! It’s an unfortunate catch-22 that causes considerable problems for drivers.
4. If you go to traffic court without the help of an experienced New York traffic lawyer representing you, the result could be extremely inconvenient. You may be forced to attend traffic school, an expensive, time consuming prospect that can interfere with your work schedule and time with your family. Let your NY traffic ticket lawyer negotiate an alternative for you that will keep you on the road for less.
5. Fighting a traffic ticket can mean the difference between affordable auto insurance and running the risk of driving without insurance. This is another tough situation – New York State requires that you have car insurance, but if you have too many points on your license, your insurance company can either raise your rates or drop you altogether. A New York traffic lawyer can help you avoid sky-high car insurance so that you can stay on the road legally.